back to the first page
Murano Glass Museum - The only
institution of its type in Italy, the Glass Museum now occupies Palazzo
Giustinian, one of the largest palaces in the Lagoon.
The museum was started by the Abbot Vicenzo Zanetti
for the purpose of assembling on the island anything that would
testify to the fame and beauty of this traditional craft.
Now it has been enriched by the Correr Civic Museum collections of
which it is a detached section, since the island was reunited with Venice
under the same municipal administration.
The museum is rich in the number and rarity of its specimens
(approx. 4000 pieces) and constitutes an invaluable collection of products
of the craft from the most ancient up to modern times.
The prize exhibit of the collection is the Barovier wedding cup
(1470-80), with enamel work decoration by Angelo Barovier.
There are also exhibits by modern artists such as
Lino Tagliapetra, and Archimedo Seguso.
St. Pietro Martyr Church - (parish
church of the island), founded in honor of St. John the Evangelist in 1348
by Marco Michiel together with the now suppressed Domenican Monastery.
It was practically rebuilt after the 1474 fire, re-consecrated, and
reopened in the name of St. Peter Martyr in 1511.
In 1808, it was closed again, stripped of all its artistic
possessions then reopened in 1813. Through
the merit of Canon Tosi, it was redecorated with works of art of high
quality from the other suppressed or destroyed churches in Murano.
The gothic style, with which it was initially constructed, lost its
charm and through the passing years and the new church and monastery began
to express renaissance and Baroque styles.
Basilica of Santa Maria and Donato -
This is one of the most important Veneto-byzantine buildings of the
12th century only slightly later than St. Mark’s, and contemporary with
that group of churches which built on the lagoons after the year 1000,
making it not only the most attractive building on the island, but one of
oldest in the whole lagoon.It was founded, apparently, in the 7th century
at the time of the first influx of refugees from the mainland, dedicated
first to Santa Maria, as is proved by a record of 999.
It was only after 1125 that the title of San Donato was added when
the body of the Saint was brought from Cephalonia.
In 1140 (the date inscribed in mosaic on the floor) the Church was
for visiting the church: 8am –
12pm. and 4pm. – 7pm. Open
at hours of mass: Sun.
7:30am, 9:30, 11, and 6pm. Weekdays
8:30am; Fri. And Sat. 6pm (6:30pm in the summer).
Da Mula Palace - This beautiful palace, which its facade can be seen on Murano’s Grand Canal, is in gothic style which goes back to the 12th century but changed in 1500. House of Venetian patricians, the family Da Mula lived in the palace until 1712 which later on became residence of the new glass aristocracy. The facade preserves tiles and remains of veneto-byzantine decorations that goes back to the 12th or 13th century. The last floor is discordant with the rest of the building and perhaps was kept for servants. Added to the facade in 1400 are four ornamental rose-windows, sculptured into shapes which represent a peacock while pecking bunches of grapes, hawks and a palm tree. A few years ago, the palace was bought by the Venice Commune and is now the Civic Center of Murano. However, the palace occasionally hosts glass exhibits.
Soranzo Palace - Fond. San Giovanni Battista dei Battuti. Standing are the remains of a beautiful Renaissance building from the beginning of the 16th century belonging originally to this family. Around 1650, the Soranzo family sold the palace to the Toso family, ancestors of Luigi Cattelan, and to this very day, passing through many generations, the palace still belongs to the Toso family. In fact, the palace now plays host to a very successful glass factory, Due D, which specializes in classical Venetian chandeliers. The glass factory is owned by Luigi’s mother, Luigina Toso.